Market Research – Weekly Market Primer (10/29/2018) – Download PDF
HOT & COLD Cryptos
- HOT : ZEC (4.65%) – Zcash successfully released their Sapling network upgrade last night at block 419200. We expect ZEC to outperform for the remainder of Q4. Read more HERE
- HOT : ZRX (6.94%) – 0x was successfully added to Coinbase last week. Price jumped to $1.10 on the night of the addition. Price has fully retraced to $0.78, the price prior to the announcement. On a risk/reward basis, we view this as a great opportunity.
- COLD : DOGE (4.94) % – Dogecoin has come off of its highs, $0.016, over the past month. It has began to retrace the run it had on the announcement of Dogethereum, a bridge of Dogecoin to create a smart contract. It is currently trading $0.0038 and we expect prices to remain in a range of $0.0025 – $0.0040.
- BTC/USD testing key support $6200-5950, a break below opens up 5500, and 5000
- BTC/USD sold off sharply during the US session, on the break of 6380.
- BTC/USD expected to be in a range of 6000-6400 for the remainder of the week
- Canadian exchange was “hacked” and all funds lost, spread some fear across the market
- End of month rebalancing also had some influence on the price decline
- ETH/USD support levels: $194, $188, $165; resistance levels: $225, $250, $285
- ETH/USD SHORTS are on the rise and we remain bearish ETH, it is expected to underperform on a relative basis
- Alt-coins near all time lows, finding weak support across the board
- Select alts looking good on a risk/reward basis: ZRX, ZEC, XLM, XRP, XMR
- Trading volumes are below average and we expect volumes to remain muted until Bitcoin chooses a direction
- RVN and DCR were listed on Binance this month and have provided decent opportunities long and short
- Last week Fidelity announced it will be moving into the cryptocurrency markets in Q1-Q2 2019; providing services to its institutional and retail clients
- Rumors are out that Northern Trust and State Street (large custodians) may be moving into the cryptocurrency space this quarter or early 2019
- BTC dominance has stagnated around 54% over the last week. We expect BTC dominance to remain in a range of 48% – 58% for the near future
- Alt-coin market has risen from $85bln to $105bln. We are watching this closely to determine direction
- We expect alt-coins to outperform Bitcoin during this rally.
What We’re Reading
- Institutions Are Coming for Your Crypto. See more HERE
- The Race to Replace Tether (In 3 Charts). See more HERE
- UK Government Says It Will Update Crypto Tax Guidance By Early Next Year. See more HERE
- Privacy Crypto Zcash Goes Live With ‘Sapling’ Network Hard Fork. See more HERE
- UK: Gov’t Taskforce Proposes Crypto Regulation Changes, Questions Crypto Definition’. See more HERE
- Crypto Exchange Bitstamp Acquired by Belgian Investment Firm in ‘All Cash Deal’. See more HERE
- China’s Bitcoin Mining Dominance Imperils US Companies and the Government Is Worried. See more HERE
- Binance CEO Lauds Fidelity Investments Move into Crypto Market. See more HERE
- Crypto Exchange OKEx Delists Over 30 Trading Pairs for Weak Volume. See more HERE
Charts of the Week
BTC/USD (4HR Candles) – https://www.tradingview.com/x/1DnAnH1K/
- BTC/USD test significant support and trend line at $6,200; if this breaks we expect a test of $5850-5950. We are slightly bearish short-term.
BTC/USD SHORTS (4HR Candles) – https://www.tradingview.com/x/Sx91Oxja/
- BTC/USD SHORTS are consolidating and strengthening the wedge. At this point they can break either direction. We are slightly bullish short-term.
Heatmap of the Week
Cryptocurrency Heatmap (10/22/2018 – 10/29/2018)
Cryptocurrency Correlation Matrix (Last 90 Days)
- Correlations among cryptocurrencies has increased over the last week, signaling uncertainty in the market
© 2019 Groff Consulting Group
Chicago, IL 60661
GCG is not a registered broker, dealer, investment adviser, investment manager or registered funding portal. The securities offerings on this site are available only to "Accredited Investors" – generally, natural persons must have a net worth of over $1 million (exclusive of residence) or income in excess of $200,000 individually or $300,000 jointly with a spouse.
The performance represented is historical; past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
The overviews presented on the GCG website do not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to make an investment herein. No such offer or solicitation will be made prior to the delivery of definitive documentation relating to such investment. The information on this website does not constitute an offer of, or the solicitation of an offer to buy or subscribe for, any securities to any person in any jurisdiction to whom or in which such offer or solicitation is unlawful.
The SEC, CFTC and other regulators have expressed concerns with the volatility of the market and the actions of sponsors of specific cryptocurrencies. So be sure to review their official consumer alerts such as the public statement on cryptocurrencies by the SEC.